Sunday, March 2, 2014

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch? Blog Post #7

I think that Professor Pausch has helped provide me with insight as to become a more active learner. The ideas and views expressed in his video were very eye opening for me. As I watched this video, I realized that my dreams consists of enabling others(My Students) dreams and Mr. Pausch could not have made that more clear for me. Not only does it make me happy to see students doing things that they never could have imagined but it is so rewarding to have young people look up to you. Whether we know it or not, we all have an influence on people in our lives. Whether it is our students or peers, we affect everyone in our lives in a certain way in which we may never know. So my question is... How can I enable others dreams? I think the answer is relatively simple. Although it is easier said than done, I think that if an individual(especially a teacher) maintains a solid level of positivity, stays humble, and works hard; The dream will fulfill itself. No matter how big or small the goal, we all have to start somewhere. Mr. Pausch also made a point and said that you should always have something to bring to the table. I think that is important in that even if all you have is a good attitude, you can bring that and it could open many doors both professionally and personally. This speech by Professor Pausch was a speech that I will always remember because it was not only filled with many great ideas and suggestions but it was so real. He was being real with his audience and that it what I liked the most about the speech. Of course I will always push myself to be an "enabler" for others because it provides a good feeling for me to help someone else accomplish a goal or see someone else's dream come true to fruition. When Mr. Pausch was talking about dreams and goals and how to help others move toward accomplishing those, it really hit close to home for me because that is ultimately why I am here. I want to provide my students with the absolute BEST tools to not only accomplish personal goals but to go out and provide help for others as well. Overall, this was a great speech from Professor Pausch and I will advise my peers to go out and watch it!

3 comments:

  1. Dreams are important for young children. They give them a goal to strive for and the bigger the dream the harder they will work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg, I am in Dr Strange's EDM510 class and you were assigned to me this week. I can tell tell that Randy Pausch's speech really moved you as it did me. I believe that you have a great sense of what it means to be a teacher. We not only offer knowledge but we facilitate dreams. Everyday that you walk into the classroom you are a mentor and I really like what you said about being positive and bringing something to the table. Many students do not have positive encouragement at home. I think it is very important that we help our students to figure out what their dreams are and then let them know that with a strong desire and perserverance they can achieve them. Keep up the great attitude and you are going to be a wonderful, caring teacher and your students will love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Greg! I also was touched by Randy Pausch's speech. I really liked what you said about at least bringing a good attitude to the table. Being positive will always help you achieve your goals and more importantly helping others achieve theirs. Being positive rubs off on everyone around you so keep up the hard work and stay positive.

    ReplyDelete