Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Blog Post #9 What can we learn from Ms Cassidy?

Ms. Kathy Cassidy is a First Grade teacher in Moose Jaw, Canada. She uses technology in her classroom full of six year olds. Not only is she a true trailblazer of technology, she is also an advocate for technology. In watching the interviews with her, it is very clear that she knows a great deal about it. It is truly amazing to see those kids using blogs and wikis as if they were adults. I think that it is great that she also mentions how much support she had when starting her webpage and blogs in her class. By the end of the school year, her students are not only able to blog properly but they also use wiki's and are able to navigate on a computer as good as any adult. My classroom will be similar to Ms. Cassidys. Not only will my students be using computers, they will also be blogging. I really like the fact that she stresses the importance of students learning online and with computers. With technology evolving more and more each day, it only makes sense to have a classroom where technology can be easily accessed.



Ms. Cassidy's students are so much ahead of the curve as far as learning with technology. She starts them early and I like the fact that she is so positive about the students learning. Although she has been teaching with technology for over 10 years now, she still keeps the students busy with new and ever learning technological projects. Ms. Cassidy is a perfect example of a teacher making a difference which is what I want to do as a teacher. Overall, I like how Ms.Cassidy teaches and I have learned a great deal from the interviews and video.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Greg! I really liked your post about Ms. Cassidy. I found her videos and interview insightful in so many ways. I especially love how she mentions that we as teachers must roll with the changes that schools and education itself are undergoing everyday of our lives! I, too, want my classroom designed just like hers, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late

    " I think that it is great that she also mentions how much support she had when starting her webpage and blogs in her class." Why do you think it is "great" that she "mentions" it? It was pitiful. That is the interesting part.

    "... similar to Ms. Cassidys" Cassidy's, not Cassidys

    And what will you do in your classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greg, I am student in EDM510. I am really amazed every time I see grade school students using computers proficiently at such a young age. Great teachers like Ms. Cassidy are doing a great job preparing these students to be active members in a rapidly growing global community. You can not put a value on these skills and I think every teacher should use whatever resources he or she has available to introduce technology. I will be teaching secondary science and I would love for my students to participate in a blog to show of group and individual projects as well as work that they do in the lab. I think it will lead to a greater sense of accomplishment by being able to share these works with a bigger audience and I also think that it will push them to do their very best. I think you will be a great teacher of technology. Keep following the "trailblazers" that have come before us and figure out how you can use what they do in your class.

    ReplyDelete